Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cemetery

Thinkstock Single Image Set

This may sound strange, but I enjoy taking my boys on bike rides through our local, historic cemetery. It's quiet and peaceful, and I don't have to worry about my little bikers getting in the way of joggers or cars.

It's also a wonderful way to show them that death is a part of life.

To talk about heaven.

To think about the kind of legacy I want to leave behind.

To remind myself that I have these three children for a short and fragile bit of time...that although my days may seem long, my moments with them are precious.

I want my moments with them to matter for eternity.

2 comments:

  1. yes! i love the cemetery by your house (on sterling ave). the gate at the front is lovely and it is well tended to. not only that...it seems a fitting place for a cemetery, in the middle of town, to remind us of the reality of death.

    since we mow a cemetery just a coupla miles from that one, our kids are familiar with the setting, as well. in fact, our last mowing of last season was something a bit special. we prepared the grounds for the winter snow and little did we know that our brother in the faith would pass to glory and be buried there just 2 short weeks later. we had "grounds", if you will, for such great discussions with the kids about life here and life after.

    i'm blabbing in your blog comments section. talk to your face on saturday. til then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Very true. Thanks for the reminder, my friend. Peace.

    ReplyDelete