Thursday, March 25, 2010

Worldview



Ash came up to me while I was preparing lunch today and asked, "Why are we having peanut butter and jelly sandwiches again?"

I told him in a conversational way that we should be glad that we have pb&j, because there are kids in Africa right now that are very hungry. Kids that would LOVE to have a sandwich to eat. Kids that might only have a little water to drink today.

He said, "oh." And left the kitchen.

A few minutes later, I'd forgotten the conversation, but Ash came in and said brightly, "Mom! I just prayed for the kids in Africa! So they could have food!"

I felt so glad as I heard those words, but as I turned to praise him, I saw his eyes. They were wet and blotchy, and my heart broke. Asher had been weeping for those hungry boys and girls on the other side of the world. I held him in my arms, and he cried some more.

We talked about some things we could do to make a difference. Ash's face showed huge relief and joy at the thought of finding a child in Africa to send money for food, clothes and schooling.

I wonder about my boy. About a four year old with a heart so big that he would cry with empathy for children he has never seen. A boy so generous that he told me to take all of his money for these children because he "doesn't need it." What kind of man will he be? How will he be used by God? How will he serve? How can I guide and encourage him so he never loses this way of seeing the world?

My heart is so full.

5 comments:

  1. That is an amazing story! It's awesome to see the work God is doing in such young kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i forgot to tell you... but when i was telling rey about this story, i actually started crying! and i teared up again reading this. oh, ash. what a sweety pie. i think i was just imagining how i would've felt if it'd be noah telling me that. i'm sure i would have cried w/ him--and felt VERY fulfilled as a mama who is successfully modeling and teaching a heart of compassion---> as you should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how God gives us these little snippets of encouragement, He's telling you " You go on being you Rachel, that's just what is gonna make those boys just want you and I want them to be." In my imaginings of God he always talks a little ghetto, it makes him more accessible to me. But in all seriousness, you are such a great momma. I'm lucky to get to have you as an example, in whose footsteps I love to walk :)

    And yes, your little Asher made me tear up at 1014PM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, that just made my day. What a wonderful story. Asher is so sweet. You are an awesome mommy! I was so touched that I had to tell Josh about your post. He loved it too!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is an awesome story :)love you and i'll see ya here in a little bit
    ben f.

    ReplyDelete