Saturday, December 26, 2009

To the Baby at the Movie Theater Last Night

I heard your little voice about thirty minutes into the movie, and said to Nick, "There's a baby here!" You'd been so quiet and good that no one had even noticed you.

Then you were carried up the aisle and out the doors by a skinny little teenaged girl. Big sister? No, mama trying to see a movie with her friends on a Friday night.

I wanted to hold you. You were just the size and shape of Eva, and you were being so good. I wanted to tell your mom that I'd keep you entertained so she could enjoy the movie. So I could just hold you.

My heart hurt every time I saw her walk in or out with you. I wondered what kind of life you will have. I wanted to help your mom. I wanted to take you home.

I can't keep you, baby, but I will remember you. I will pray that someday you will meet a Father who will love you and hold you and call you Daughter.

I still wish I could take you home.

1 comment:

  1. awww... you're still as marvelous a writer as ever!! :-D

    ReplyDelete